Followers

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

What's for dinner?

I only have four kids that can talk.  My baby just coos but perhaps she is also asking the same question the others are.  "What's for dinner?"  I know it gets asked way more than four times a day.  I answer it over and over and wonder where the extra kids are coming from because certainly they have all asked and had it answered at least twice.  And sometimes I don't know the answer and sometimes I don't want to tell them.  If I say "Chicken with spinach tarragon cream sauce and saute'ed zucchini, carrots and onions" guess what their reaction is.  "I don't like spinach."  "What's tarragon?"  "I hate zucchini.  Can i just eat the carrots?"  And my 3 yr old always asks if there is going to be a "zert".  Dessert for those of you who don't speak 3yrold.  As much as I don't like to tell them sometimes, it's better than if I don't know at all.  Menu planning definitely falls in the category of a "stitch in time saves nine."  Life is so much better when at least I know what's for dinner.  I usually come up with a 1-2 week list of meals I can pick from, buy necessary ingredients and then pick from the list daily depending on schedules and available prep time and mostly what sounds the best.  This week's main dish menu consists of Potstickers; the above mentioned Tarragon Chicken; Hamburgers (made with some grass-fed ground beef i purchased at local farmer's market which I am super anxious to try); Grandpa's Chicken (recipe to come later); Shrimp and vegetable foil packets; Pork Roast; and the ever exciting pot-luck dinner at my daughter's end of the years swim team party.  Is the reason they call it "pot-luck" because you will be lucky to find a pot that isn't too scary to eat??  I am a food snob, I know.   :)

Here is the recipe for tonight's dinner:

Chicken w/Spinach Tarragon Cream Sauce

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half lenthwise to make 6 thin pieces
2 T.  olive oil
1-2 c. fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
1 c.  chicken broth
1/2 c. heavy cream
1/2 t. dried tarragon
salt and pepper to taste.

Heat oil in skillet.  Lightly salt and pepper chicken breasts.  Cook chicken on both sides until browned and done.  Once all chicken pieces are done, add spinach to remaining oil in pan.  Add more oil if pan is dry.  Saute spinach until wilted.  Carefully add chicken broth to hot pan.  It will create a lot of steam.  Whisk all around the pan scraping bits off the bottom. Let boil for several minutes to concentrate flavors.  Add cream and tarrogon and continue to cook until sauce thickens to desired thickness.  It will thicken slightly more as it cools.  Add salt and pepper if needed.  Pour hot sauce over chicken breasts. 

I served it with leftover whole wheat 3 cheese macaroni bake from Sunday (recipe to come) and zucchini, carrot, and onion slices saute'ed in a tablespoon of olive oil.  I took a picture.  I just have to figure out how to get in on here!  Got it!  I am a better cook than photographer, by the way!  haha!



Side note: get your children to help you in the kitchen.  They not only learn valuable skills, the also become vested in the meal and may be more likely to eat it.  Not to mention, if they are helping you they aren't fighting with a sibling!  :)  My 3 yr old peeled all the carrots and set the table. 

p.s. We did have a "zert".  I made frozen yogurt out of some cinnamon greek yogurt i found at the store today.  Mixed it with a bit of sugar and milk and froze it in the Cuisinart ice cream freezer.  Served it with fresh peaches.  Yum.

1 comment: