Followers

Sunday, August 12, 2012

To My Uncle Lewis with Love and Raisins

One of the best men to ever walk this planet just happened to be my uncle.  Lewis N.Tenney.  He is loved by so many because he loved so many.  He would look at you with those big blue eyes and you felt as if he could see right into the very core of your soul, yet there was never judgement.  Only a sense of love and understanding and kindness.  He was a brilliant man and always seemed to know the right things to say.  Sometimes those words were calming to your spirit and other times were motivating to be better.  No matter what, you could always feel his love for you.  He was also very, very funny!  Once when I was about 3, my parents were going somewhere with Uncle Lewis and Aunt Mary.  When my parents arrived at their house to leave and Uncle Lewis saw that I was not there, he asked where I was and my mom told him that she was leaving me with her sister.  Then he said: " I guess I won't need this rope now!" I never fully understood that story until our daughter Emmi came along. How grateful I am for car seats!

As a tween, I spent a lot of time at the Tenney house.  Because my Aunt Mary knew I loved to bake, she would always have me make cookies while I was there.  The standard recipe was always Chocolate Chip. However, every time I would make them, Uncle Lewis would give me so much grief for not making Oatmeal Raisin.  In my opinion, raisins have to be one of the grossest things ever.  I am so not a fan!  But every once in a while I would make him his favorite and he would give be a big fat hug and flash his great smile and it would make my day!

This great man lost his battle with cancer on August 8, 2012.  I knew his time was short and since I now live 1000 miles away, I decided to write him a letter and tell him how much I love him and how grateful I am for his love and example in my life.  I told him I wished I was there to make him Oatmeal Raisin cookies again. The letter was mailed 13 hours before he passed from this life.  Somehow I hope he knows how i feel even without reading it.  Here is my oatmeal cookie recipe.  Love you Uncle Louie! Til we meet again!

Uncle Lewis' Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

1 c. Butter
1 c. Sugar
1 c. Brown sugar
2 eggs
1 t. Vanilla
2 1/2 c. Flour
2 c. Oats
2 t. Baking powder
2 t. Baking soda
2 c. Raisins

Cream sugars and butter.  Add eggs and vanilla.  Mix well. Stir in dry ingredients.  Add raisins and mix until dispersed evenly throughout dough.  Bake at 350* for 10-12 minutes.  (I only bake mine for 10 because I like them soft.)  Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. Aw Heather, this made me cry. I think I'll make them this week in honor of Uncle Lewis. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your special recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your stories. Your uncle will be missed my many, but just think of all the stories that he has left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came across this post again and I wasn't planning on cooking, but it got me immediately out of my chair and I decided to make them. They were so easy and they are the best oatmeal cookies I have tasted!! Thanks for expanding my horizons:) Thank you. Oh, I did add some cinnamon to it because my mom loves cinnamon and it is a great addition.

    ReplyDelete